Monday, August 20, 2012

A Time to Give Back - Volunteering at the Olympics!



About 18 months ago I interviewed and was selected to be a London Ambassador.  This is not be confused with a Games Makers.  Both offered volunteer opportunities for the Olympics.  Honestly I thought I was signing up for Games Makers but oh well!  London Ambassadors differed slightly from their GM peers.  We were set up in pods around the city and venues.  We offered maps and information about transportation, venue offerings, and just about every other question you can think of including what restaurants are observing Ramadan.  

So with 3 full days of training under our belts we were off to our respective assignments.  I was assigned to beautiful Hyde Park.  


I went to Hyde Park Corner along with a few of my colleagues (co-workers in American speak).  Hyde Park Corner was teeming with people.  They came in droves to Hyde Park either to go see the big screens...



BT Live was hosting a huge venue of 5 big screens to watch the Olympic action.  This was a popular area.  It was a free venue except for the opening and closing ceremonies and it gave one a chance to experience the 'Olympic vibe' and be a part of 'Team GB'.  It made for a good old fashion 'knees up'! On a side note - the security here was tighter than security at an Olympic event!  Unlike an Olympic venue, no food was allowed in - much to the dismay of families with their hampers of picnics.



Or they were off to the HUGE 2012 Official Souvenir Shop located within the park!  Actually there were 3 Official shops in Hyde Park but there was one that seemed to be the mothership of them all!


These are a couple of the men triathletes trying out the bike route on the eve of the big event.   The triathlon was held in and around Hyde Park.  Much of the triathlons were free to watch - ticketed spectator stands were set up around the start and finish - but you could view the triathlon - along with hundreds of thousands of others - stacked alongside the route!



I loved the people!  


They came as families... a family on holiday from Massachusetts.


They came as groups of friends... these guys were pounding down their beers before they went into BT Live. Could not let all that beer go to waste!


They came on their own...  This man was thrilled to know I had visited Bucharest!  He gave me a list of things to see the next time I am there!    


They came as Brits...  Ready for the rain!  Another great Primark purchase!


They came as every other nationality... Family from Jamaica with tickets to see Bolt run later that evening!  They did not have a spare ticket for this volunteer!  

They came dressed in their flag capes... 


They came dressed in team colors...  Huge Polish contingent!


They came dressed in Team GB togs...  He posed for many pictures with a huge smile for all! 


They came with silly hats on and smiles on their faces!



These guys were the real heroes!  There was such a police presence but take a closer look.  They are all engaging with the public.  Whether answering questions or posing for pictures with tourists - these guys  took it all in stride and were wonderful!


It was a wonderful experience!  The comment that surprised me came from an 8 year old girl looking forward to enjoying the Olympics on the big screens.  She turned to me and asked 'Can I tell you something?  I like your accent!'  I assured her that I liked hers too!  Yet another reminder that I am a guest in this country!
And the question that took the 'cake' - well it wasn't while I was volunteering.  It was when I was at Beach Volleyball at Horse Guards Parade.  I overheard a spectator ask 'Where are the Olympics??'  Are you kidding me?  He was AT the Olympics!   

3 comments:

  1. This is absolutely delightful, Nancy. Have been waiting for this. Am going to link it to my own photography blog because I think people will enjoy your behind-the-scenes account, okay? Will write a little intro about you first, and maybe include your family group!
    Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ever so much! Just fantastic pictures. What a wonderful opportunity. Truthfully I forgot all about your new blog, even though I signed up to get updates. I must have done it incorrectly. I'm glad you put something on Facebook today or I may have forgotten forever. Ha!
    Marla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recap of your experience! They were very lucky to have you as one of the "faces" of London this year!

    ReplyDelete