Monday, October 8, 2012

The Grand Daddy of Them All!!

Since moving to England I have seen lots of old things.  England is full of them.  Some people call old stuff antiques.  I have been to a couple of antique fairs here.  The one I have been to is held at a horse racing track.  It isn't huge but a fun way to spend a morning.  Then I learned that the AWC (American Women's Club) was putting together a day trip to the Newark Antique Fair.  I jumped at the chance!

The Newark Antique Fair is legendary among antique fans.  This is the largest event of its kind in Europe!  It is HUGE and held 6 times a year at an old airfield north of London.  This 84 acre site handles up to 2,500 stands attracting 1000's of visitors from around the world.  It is no small wonder that this event is listed in the book "1000 Places to See Before You Die".

About 30 of us gathered at 7am to board a coach to take us to Nirvana.  With Starbucks take away coffees in hand, we settled in for the 3 hour drive north.  We arrived around 10:30 greeted by a sunny day to match our dispositions!!  Did I mention that this fair is OUTSIDE?



Straight away I spotted this accordion.  It looks like it has been around for a while - I would love to hear the stories of the different people who have played those keys over the years.

Seriously - horns??  And it looks like a complete set!!!

Actually I love these old fireplace screens.  These were for the women.  If they sat too close to the fire they could turn red from the heat.  These were in place to protect those delicate creatures!  I am sure I need one for my woodstove back home!

A wonderful old typewriter!  This is the kind I think my mom used when she worked during the war.  Notice the ribbon carousels.  They would use those ribbons over and over again.

Someone needs a vision for this chair!!  I notice it wasn't on the coach going back to London!

Lovely old alarm clocks!  Also saw lots of pocket watches.  Time marches on...

Colorful enamel ware!

And for those looking for that je ne sais pas in lighting... there is sure to be a chandelier here to please you!

Ah yes - and who doesn't need one of these!!!  I bet he died waiting for the internet to be connected to his flat in London!

Or a chair fit for a king!

So sad to see these as antiques!  Beautiful cameras!

This was the piece that brought back a flood of memories for me.  My dad was a ham radio operator and I have so many memories of him sitting at his keyer talking around the world.  Another lost art.

 And who wouldn't love a duck?

At the end of the day we all piled back on the coach for the long ride back to London. It was fun to share wine and nibbles and see what treasures people found.  One woman bought a bed, another a chair.  Some bought silver napkin rings, others bought jewelry  The stories we shared were as wonderful as the treasures.

And then we were back and time to cart our loot back to our respective homes.  And what did I purchase....
I love these old prints.  This is St. Mary-le-Bow church on Cheapside in The City.  The backing shows it was framed in 1934.  The only big difference I can see between then and now is the dirt road and the horse drawn carriages.  The buildings remain constant.  

And miscellaneous napkin rings and cutlery.  No rhyme or reason but interesting to me all the same.

Great day, great friends, great finds, great conversation.  So any regrets?????

I wished I had purchased the French wooden airplane propeller.
Another wished she had bought the sterling salt cellar set.
Another wished she had bought the chair she had her eye on.
And still another wished she had bought that christening gown. 



And I am still looking for a bell used to call servants in days gone by.  The ones I saw were only sold in sets - about 20+ bells. If only I needed one of these chairs!!!  Another day, another trip!












3 comments:

  1. Marvelous Nancy! That OLD typewriter. I used one just like that to type my reports in high school. (at home). I think the typewriter in school was more modern, but not by much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the comment about the Internet! We do know how to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip it must have been. I've never made it to Newark, though I've wanted to get there. Glad to hear it was such a huge success and the weather was sure cooperative!

    ReplyDelete