Sunday, July 29, 2012

Opening Ceremonies Rehearsal!!!


Wednesday evening I had the amazing opportunity to watch one of the last rehearsals of the Olympic Opening Ceremony.



I arrived at Stratford in East London with plenty of time to spare.  I entered Olympic Park through Westfields mall - the biggest mall in Europe.  I was greeted with a volunteer seated up high like a lifeguard with a bullhorn telling everyone to get their tickets ready.



And through the signs pointing to Olympic Park!



Once inside security I walked by the Water Polo venue..


And the Orbit comes into view.  Mixed reviews (mainly negative) on this piece of sculpture.  Reminds me of something I would find at a refinery but that might just be me!  What is the point of this??  Is it supposed to become what the Eiffel Tower is to Paris or what the Space Needle means to Seattle??  There is an elevator so you can go to an observation deck to look out over the London from east London.  A restaurant is planned for the future. Hmmm...



And FINALLY signs pointing me to the Olympic Stadium!!!  Notice that French is the first language.  That must annoy the Brits!

This was the scene I walked into.  England long ago.  There were sheep, goat, a horse pulling a plow. Gardens, ducks and pond, maypoles and cricket games.



There were some opportunities for audience participation.  Blue fabric came down and we were to push it along.  Was supposed to give the impression of an island surrounded by water.

The Olympic rings raining!  This was so cool!

 Loved the lights!

Mary popped in!  But no Dick van Dyke!

The stadium lit up at night!

The audience was repeatedly asked not to share photos until after the Opening Ceremony.

Leaving the Olympic Stadium.  The Aquatic Center at night.




Ready for the games!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment